« Home | Summer in CA and Stage IV » | Cutting it close » | Virginia Tech » | Truth or truth » | Word buffers » | Music and Tarkovsky » | Not that I agree with all of the Realtime Art Mani... » | "Step one: drop the requirement of making a game. ... » | Fiction...ish » | Fantastic Landscapes »

Focusing on life vs learning

I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm so often bothersome and irritable because I tend to spend my copious free time (and that does exist this summer) ruminating on just how much worse life could be. Yes, I make a fine as a parking ticket salary. Yes, I'm in a beautiful apartment in a beautiful community with a wonderfully loving family and a bright future. But me, oh I'm glum because it COULD be the case that I wouldn't be in such a fine position.

Not that I'm going to totally knock that position, mind you, but it seems that I've forgotten that there are actually allowed moods for people of such fortunate status beyond guilt. One that I've neglected lately, is wonder. In my focus on humanity and wordly affairs, I for awhile forgot that when all of the basic human needs are met (and then some), you are able to project your mind not just beyond yourself to other human beings, but to a place beyond humanity.

Specifically, I'm referring to picking up "A Brief History of Time" at a secondhand bookstore :), but I do imply a bit more than that. Once you get past the guilt of being such a fortunate person, be it by simply accepting life as is or by deciding that it really isn't a helpful mood, one can begin to move focus from the world to...

Ok, I'm losing myself. I'll stop here. Gotta get to the Sunday service at Island United Church, a wonderfuly place with ~20 weekly attendants but a heart that you'd normally find from ~10000000000 (does that even make sense? No, but oh well).

VOOM.

Google Docs -- Web word processing, presentations and spreadsheets. Edit this page (you have permission) Edit this page (if you have permission) | Report spam