« Home | Not that I agree with all of the Realtime Art Mani... » | "Step one: drop the requirement of making a game. ... » | Fiction...ish » | Fantastic Landscapes » | Imagination » | Dad » | Intensely Mundane » | GDIAC: Not what you think » | Edge-y-Sketch (y) Game » | Your Religious Interactive Experience »

Music and Tarkovsky

Reading Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time for film class, and while a lot of it is just over my head, his view on music in movies is interesting to me. He doesn't like it because he frowns on its use of just reinforcing the meaning of the images. Kinda banging you over the head, giving the audience cues for how they should feel. Instead, he'd rather not use it at all, or, if necessary, only as a way to morph the image. In his view, a sequence should only have music if it would have a different cast entirely if it were devoid of it.

So for me, I'm a lover of music. I love the way it instantly can modify my temperament, making me feel different ways depending on whether it's sad, offbeat, happy, crashing, etc. But when I listen to music, I'll often imagine how my games will go. Obviously, though, the two media are very different and don't use the same methods. So I guess my problem is that I need to understand how to translate that raw emotional power of music into the more subdued game. Maybe then it's more lasting than just harnessing humanity's built-in emotion-o-meter to do with as you please.

Google Docs -- Web word processing, presentations and spreadsheets. Edit this page (you have permission) Edit this page (if you have permission) | Report spam